Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Review: Beastly Bones By William Ritter

Title/ Author: Beastly Bones (Jackaby #2) by William Ritter
Rating: 5/5 stars
Genre: Historical, supernatural, mystery
Synopsis: I’ve found very little about private detective R. F. Jackaby to be standard in the time I’ve known him. Working as his assistant tends to call for a somewhat flexible relationship with reality.”

In 1892, New Fiddleham, New England, things are never quite what they seem, especially when Abigail Rook and her eccentric employer R. F. Jackaby are called upon to investigate the supernatural.

First, a vicious species of shape-shifters disguise themselves as a litter of kittens, and a day later, their owner is found murdered with a single mysterious puncture wound. Then in nearby Gad’s Valley, now home to the exiled New Fiddleham police detective Charlie Cane, dinosaur bones from a recent dig mysteriously go missing, and an unidentifiable beast starts attacking animals and people, leaving their mangled bodies behind. Charlie calls on Abigail for help, and soon Abigail and Jackaby are on the hunt for a thief, a monster, and a murderer.


Review:

*ARC Review*

Thoughts on the Overall Book: So anyone who follows my reviews will know how much I have been waiting for this one. I think that's explanation enough. And it didn't disappoint.

Cover--Yea or Nay: I love the covers for these, I think they are very pretty.

Characters: What else can I say? I adore Jackaby and Abigail. Abigail is a lovely narrator and I continue to love her just as much in this book as the first one, and Jackaby is just such a fun, eccentric character and the way Abigail describes him makes him even more so. I was glad we got to see Charlie again in this book, as he is definitely one of my favorite characters and I liked him just as much in this one too. This book had quite a few new characters introduced who I really liked as well. Mr. Hudson the trapper was fun to meet, as well as the two paleontologists who were constantly at each other's throats--very reminiscent of your typical archeologists of the day. My favorite though was the reporter, Nellie Fuller (view spoiler) She was just a really awesome, spunky female character, the kind I love to pop up in stories like this. So many awesome characters in one cast, and perhaps a new official nemesis? So excited to see where the plot goes with the pale man.

The Romance: (view spoiler)

Writing Style: Just as awesome as the first one. Abigail might be one of my favorite female narrators. Her descriptions are witty and enjoyable to read, she doesn't have an attitude, and I have no complaints being stuck in her head. While the first one might have been more frightening and presented a scarier villain, I still really enjoyed the mystery in this one, and while I guessed a couple things, several of the clues jumped out at me and the way two seemingly unrelated cases melded together was very cool. It's fast-paced without seeming to be just filled with action, and had a well-plotted storyline just like the first.

Accuracy/ Believability: Not really applicable here.

Problems/What bothered me: My only problem is that I wish it was longer! Not because it needed to be, but because I hate having to finish another Jackaby book!

Conclusion: 5 stars. LOVED IT! This is definitely a new favorite series of mine. The end promised interesting things to come, and can I just say that I am very sad to hear about the demise of Jackaby's nymph-made yeti wool hat.

Recommended Audience: If you enjoyed the first one, you will love this one as well. Fans of supernatural mysteries must try these! Girl or guy read ages 13 and up.

(Read this Review with Spoilers on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment