Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Steampunk Goggles!

I've really wanted a pair of steampunk goggles for a while, especially for my new author's photo that will go in A Case of Poisons and after finding this very cool tutorial on how to make your own, I decided to try it out, and I must say, my goggles turned out rather good!



It was not even very hard to do, and can mostly be made with things you find around the house. I especially liked how it was made with mason jar rings! I antiqued the rings and all the other metal parts of the goggles by using gold and black paint and applying it with a dry old paint brush to give it a distressed look. The gold and black paint make a great easy steampunk antique look to things.
I also kind of cheeped out and instead of leather, just used felt which I stiffened by painting the back with glue, but I really liked the effect because the felt I found was embossed and looks very Victorian.


I just used thin plastic for the lenses too which works perfectly well for a costume piece since I'm just going to stick these on my hat anyway. Unfortunately you can't see the real effect of the paint in this photo, because I can't use a camera to save my life, but oh well! Over all I am very happy with how these came out!



~~~~

In other news, my blog has a new look! And you can see the tabs up top that made it very much more tidy! I'm happy with that too.

Also, I'm hosting a tour stop with debut YA author, Haley Fisher this Tuesday (the Tuesday Snippet will be moved to Wednesday, don't worry!) so I hope you all stop by and read her interview and enter her giveaway!

Until next time, 
Slainte, Hazel

12 comments:

  1. Love the new look of the blog! And the goggles are spiffy! I have a picture taken at a steampunk conference--sepia, of course. I think I wore round wire spectacles instead of goggles though. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! These goggles are a little big to wear, but I put them on my hat. I might make another pair eventually that are smaller, now that I know how to do it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look of your blog!!! Its very warm and inviting, and those goggles are Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the colours too, and the antiqued look of the background =) Thank ye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the goggles! They look really cool, and I really like the new design of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to both! I had a fun time making them =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The goggles are awesome! (And the new layout, too.) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you did a great job with those goggles! I want to go make some now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, I just had to figure out a couple different things but I thought they were fun to make =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is cool! Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post! This post is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete