Monday, March 30, 2015

Review: "Cress" by Marissa Meyer

Title/Author: Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, fairy tale retelling
Rating: 4/5 stars
Synopsis: In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has

Review:

Thoughts on the Overall Book: I've really enjoyed this series from the beginning, and this book was no exception. I continue to love the cast of characters and the new additions and this one particularly had a very classic adventure flair to it.

Cover--Yea or Nay: I love the covers for this series, so pretty yet simple.

Characters: I still loved all the characters I liked previously, Cinder is still awesome, Iko is adorable (definitely my favorite android character ever) and though Scarlet and Wolf weren't in this one quite as much, I still really love them too. Thorne is fast becoming my favorite character, probably. I can't resist loving the characters who are rogues yet still good men. I also really loved Cress, I felt she was a good edition to the group. Since Cinder and Scarlet are two pretty prominent heroines, I liked how Cress is more shy and sweet but still very skilled in hacking and she's strong enough to step up to the plate when she needs to. Lavina is still evil, and Sybil was fun to hate as well. I was interested with the introduction of Winter in this one, I really have no idea what to think of her yet, but I know she's going to make an awesome character.

The Romance: Okay, yes, there is essentially insta-love between Thorne and Cress, or at least on Cress's end, but it actually works here, because it's more fanciful than anything, and she's kind of naive and hasn't had a lot of human interaction. It didn't bother me. Apart from that, really not much romance to speak of. This one was mostly action packed. But I did really end up enjoying Thorne and Cress's relationship and I think it's cute. (view spoiler)

Writing Style: Same as the other books. Love the world building, and how the story is evenly balanced between characters and their development and storylines and the plotlines. It makes for an engaging read, and even though the book is long, it doesn't seem to drag.

Accuracy/ Believability: Despite being sci-fi, I actually to think that the situations of the story are pretty accurate to how they would really happen. It's a pretty well thought out plot for a sci-fi novel.

Problems/What bothered me: Really didn't have any problems, I enjoyed the book.

Conclusion: 4 of 5 stars. Really enjoyed this one, and am very much looking forward to the next one! Can't wait!

Recommended Audience: Readers of the first two, obviously. I don't read a lot of sci-fi, so I don't know a lot of recs, but if you love fairy tale retellings and want something different, these work. Girl or guy read ages 16 and up

(Read review with spoilers on Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Hazel, the whole point of SF is accuracy! If you get your physics or biology wrong, it isn't science fiction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's seems to be quite a few sci-fi books out there that don't seem to have any logic attached. Unless they're classified as 'space adventure'

      Delete