Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tuesday Snippets #9-- Anthony Maxwell

Yay, for another Tuesday Snippet! This one is actually one of my favorites so far, personally. I'd also like to report good progress on the editing stage on A Case of Poisons, I am very nearly ready to start formatting and that means I am almost ready to send off for my proof copy! I just have a little more fixing to do. Apart from that, I am DEFINITELY getting my Kickstarter up by this weekend. I made my video and figured out the prizes and all that, so it will not be long now! Also, I'm hoping to have the cover reveal up sometime within the next couple weeks or so, so keep an eye out for that!

And now onto the snippet! This one comes from Chapter Eight and  takes place when Anthony, Scamp and Tobias go out searching for clues in the slums at night and come across some really nasty guys who, oddly, don't feel pain.







         As I skidded to a halt, ready to make my stand, I spun around, expecting the man to be right on top of me, but he was nowhere to be seen. The single lamp did little to assure me, but there was enough light to tell that there was no other human beside myself back there, nor did I hear the pounding footsteps that had pursued me. I took a moment to catch my breath as I searched for a sign of where my rather large ne’er-do-well could possible have gotten.
         ‘’Ello, Guv,’ came a voice from right behind me and I spun to see the man. How he ended up at my front had me flummoxed, but I turned around to meet him, wary, and ready to pull out my shortsticks should the need arise.
         ‘Hello yourself,’ I replied cheerily. ‘It’s a bad night to be out.’
         ‘‘Specially for yuh, Guv,’ (intentional bad grammar/spelling--for accent) the man said. His breath was heavy and rasped strangely in his chest, but not in the way mine was from the run. It was wolfish, and the too-bright gleam in his eyes made him look a predator. Despite his hard breathing, he didn’t seem spent at all. I stopped thinking about his resilience and concentrated on his right hand. He curled his last two fingers over and pressed into the palm of his glove. There was a short click and something flashed out of his hand. I realized that he was wearing an eagle’s claw—a device that could be buckled onto a glove and had a curved, flip-out blade activated by a spring mechanism—and also that I needed to act fast if I didn’t want to have it stuck into me.
         I know I mentioned my custom-made boots before, but I would like to remind the Reader of them as I don’t think I revealed all their secrets yet. You see, they were crafted by a very canny Scotsman, and I believe I already said that they held hidden sheathes where I kept my shortsticks. But there was also another secret to the sheathes, and that was in a mechanism attached to the heels. If I clicked them together, it would pop and cause the sticks to spring up so that I could grab them on a moment’s notice. Tonight, however, was the first time they failed me, for the mechanism must have been clogged with the mud and I looked a proper fool clicking my heels when nothing happened. The huge man, who was to be my opponent, laughed at me.
         ‘Those h’are some fancy gallies (boots, in Victorian slang) yuh ‘ave there, (intentional bad grammar)’ he said with a wolfish grin on his face. ‘h’I might take those once I kill yuh.’
            ‘Shame they’re not really your size,’ I replied and clicked again, this time hearing the satisfying whirr of the gears before the sticks popped up and I grabbed them with lightning quickness. It was a good thing I did too, for, at just that moment, the man charged me and took a huge swipe with the small, curved blade of his eagle’s claw. 


Hope you liked the snippet and the picture! As you have probably noticed, I draw people better than inanimate objects and scenery, so I hope you can tell it's an alleyway in the picture. Also, this was one of those that looked much better before I scanned it into the computer. It's actually the first nighttime picture I have drawn so the shading is iffy but in real life, I was actually able to make it look like there was mist floating around--not so after I scanned it, but oh well. Likewise the baddie didn't look so flat either.

I'm hoping to write some more posts soon, later this week we'll be having a tour stop with another steampunk author, Daniel Ottalini about his new book, so check back for that!

Slainte, Hazel

10 comments:

  1. Sorry I haven't been keeping up with these as much as I should. Enjoyed it! I still think you have a great knack for action scenes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It took lots of practice to get there :P Tons and tons of fight scenes later... Does help when you try it out yourself though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your punctuation is poor and your grammar is even worse.

    "I grabbed them with lightening quickness" is an example. Check your dictionary. This is an incorrect use of the word "lightening."

    This is why self published authors get a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, excuse me, Monsieur or Madam Grammar Nazi, for offending you. Next time you want to insult someone, either wait until you view a PUBLISHED work that has had full editing done, or leave your illustrious name so that I don't think you're such a coward you can't insult me to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stand behind Hazel, as a loyal beta reader, fellow writer, and friend. What you have done, Person-with-No-Name, is rude and I would assume intentionally insulting. And you can be assured that in her published work, Hazel will have worked out all of those little SPELLING ERRORS (for anyone can see that it is a spelling error, and not a poor understanding of grammar) will have been niggled out, if not by her own eyes then by the eyes of her beta readers and unoffical editors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I completely agree with Hazel and Mara.
    I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed this snippet and am looking forward to reading the published book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was neither rude nor insulting. If you publish on your blog then you are inviting comments. If you want lackeys to pronounce that you are their favorite author ever and omg so awesome, then keep it off social media and show your mom.

    I was truthful, and you clearly can't handle the truth. Your grammar is poor, you used words that have incorrect meaning, and your punctuation is grade eight. I won't be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a way of conveying your true opinion without being rude. And you most definitely were rude. Yes, posting things on a blog is inviting comment, but that doesn't give a person licence to abandon polite forms of speech. If you wished to convey your criticism, you could have said , "Great concept, but you might want to take a look at the grammar and spelling errors before your final draft."

      And I assume that you are accusing Hazel's friends - who rally behind her when a blank-faced jerk shows up - of being lackeys, allow me to inform you that I am NO ONE's lackey, and I do not give my praise without cause. Hazel is a good writer, with good characters and good story concepts. And who is perfectly capable of handling the truth. If she wasn't, I doubt she would let me read her stories.

      Delete
  8. It's you who are being immature, for insulting me on such a simplistic level. I have no lackeys, only loyal friends--do you know what those are? And every scrap of writing posted on this blog is a WIP. Let me read your writing to see how much better it is, if you are a writer? You should not run away so soon, I was looking forward to our next meeting, my oh so noble adversary who's too cowardly to leave a name again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Though I do applaud your use of the word "lackey". Just for you I have uploaded a "fixed" edition of the snippet so you can't accuse me of being an arrogant toff.

    ReplyDelete