Friday, October 5, 2012

Tour Results--What I Learned

As those of you who followed my tour for "On a Foreign Field" know, it's over now! :P The end. Okay, no, that's not it. I'm going to share a little with everyone about how it went for those of you who might be thinking about doing a tour yourself.

Over all, it went really good, mainly thanks to BK Walker who runs Virtual Book Tour Cafe, because my inability to comprehend and make computer things work is rather hilarious it's so bad and if it wasn't for her, this tour probably would have crashed and burned. I can't say it really held up to my delusions of grander, but very few things do. (Very few) and it did generate interest. I got over 160 "to-read" adds on Goodreads and over 300 people entered the giveaway for three signed copies of "On a Foreign Field". Over 5,000 people entered the giveaway for my Amazon gift card and I got some Facebook 'likes' and 'tweets' and google pluses and all that stuff too so that's progress, yes?

I also had a very good time doing the interviews and guest posts, and getting to meet new bloggers and all that as well as potential readers. I hope that even if a tenth of those people end up reading my book, that they will at least enjoy it.

I also got two very amazing 5 star reviews from non-obligated reviewers. (And are those not the best kind?) First 5 star reviews not given to me by friends and family so it was pretty awesome.

So would I do anything differently next time? Truth be told, I can only say I learned a lot about how it works this time (by trial and error). I know that if I do it again it will go more smoothly, perhaps anyway. At least with the experience under my belt it might work out. Perhaps it's my uncanny ability to make sure that computers will not work just when I need them to whether they be my own or other people's. But over all, the tour went good, and I would definitely suggest new indie authors to try it out, if for nothing more than getting your name out there. If you want my opinion, start hosting first and see how it's done, it will run more smoothly for it! If you have any questions about the subject, please feel free to ask!

Slainte, Hazel

10 comments:

  1. If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost you for the tour package? Would you say the price was worth it for the amount of exposure you got? I'd love to do a tour for my next book, but I'm operating on a college-student budget, lol. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I got a half price discount because I host for the website as well. I'm not sure if other tour sites do the same. For what I paid (about $37) I think it was worth it, but if I had paid the $75 I don't think I would have been as thrilled. But I think it definitely helps, especially if you do giveaways at the same time. (Incentive you know ;) I'm actually thinking of working up my own tour next time and find people who specifically do historical fiction blogs. One of the reasons I think it didn't go as well as it could have is because most of the blogs were focussing on the YA part of the book, and not the Historical part. Because I never meant it to be specifically YA, it just has elements that I think teens should think about is all, and most YA blogs just have a bunch of paranormal stuff and teen romances hanging around.

    Let me know if you decide to do a tour and where you do it through =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I'm leaning more towards creating my own tour and approaching specific blogs about it, instead of going through a paid service. I understand your frustration with YA book blogs. I consider "His Own Good Sword" YA, since most of the main characters are teens and it's essentially a coming-of-age story, but it doesn't really mesh with the bulk of the YA that's out there, and I've hesitated submitting it to a lot of review sites for that reason--even review sites that specifically request YA fantasy.

      Hey, if you do decide to create a tour on your own and need another stop, let me know. I'd be glad to host you. :-)

      Delete
  3. I was definitely planning on asking some comrades first ;) I'll let you know. I want to do it around the release of "By Blood and By Bond" maybe even a little before hand, so possibly sometime in December-January.

    Yeah, I always have a hard time classing my books. The only one I specifically wrote as YA was "Freedom Come All Ye" "Highwayman" I consider simply general adventure. Your book is another of those slide genres and those are my favorite kinds of books. I don't really like a lot of "teen" books because they're usually stupid and relationship oriented (not that that's a bad thing, it just drives me up the wall. I killed myself reading Twilight just so I could say I did when I complained about it :P) I just love the random YA books that are something different, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. :-) I don't read a ton of recent YA for the reasons you mention, but there are definitely still some gems to be found.

      Delete
  4. I find most of the best YA books are written by men for some reason. Have you read any of Kenneth Oppel's books? His Airborn trilogy is amazing and some of my favorite books =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good friend of mine has recommended those to me, and I'd love to read them eventually. I have so much on my reading list right now, though, lol! I do tend to like male authors, though. Right now I'm actually reading a really good YA book by Australian author John Marsden, called "Tomorrow, When the War Began."

      Delete
  5. Ooh, might check that out. I'm reading Maggie Stiefvater's "Raven Boys" right now and I'm liking it far more that I expected too. I was afraid she would revert back to her older books, but she didn't. It's not as good as Scorpio Races, but very interesting and the characters are great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might give "Raven Boys" a try (once I finish "Scorpio Races," of course). Her books seem amazingly well-written.

      Delete
    2. Well, these two are, I wouldn't recommend reading any of her older ones. They smack of Twilight :P But I think you'd like "Raven Boys" it deals with some Welsh folklore and stuff. It's actually pretty awesome. I'm hoping to finish it today. I have to before I can put my mind to my work :P

      Delete